LL-L "History" 2009.11.08 (06) [EN]

Mon Nov 9 02:47:27 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 08 November 2009- Volume 06

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2009.11.08 (02) [EN]

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk <mailto:
wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>>

> Subject: LL-L "History" 2009.11.07 (02) [EN]
>
> From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz <
> http://mc/compose?to=wes.parish@paradise.net.nz>>
>
> Subject: LL-L "History" 2009.11.06 (01) [EN]
>
> Well, for what it's worth, Heather, et alli, Guy Fawkes is renowned for
> being
> the only person to go to Parliament with honest intentions :) Â (They may
> nothave been very helpful intentions, but they were completely honest. :)
>
> --So are Al Quaeda.
>
> Paul
> Derby
> England

Guy Fawkes was a man who gave his life in an attempt to revise the injustice
that was done to the Catholics by the Anglican rulers. Al Quaeda's fighters
give their lifes attempting to correct the wrongs done to the Muslims by
Westerners. You can never judge any "terrorist" or "freedom fighter" without
having to judge the people who drove them to their actions. It's obviously
not a good thing to kill people to achieve your goals. But sometimes there
are situations in which there's no way to achieve your goals without
resorting to this kind of action. What would have been Guy Fawkes'
alternative? He had no army or political power to enforce the rights of the
Catholics and just "talking" to the Anglican authorities was of no use. So
he decided to take the risk. Either the plot would succeed and restore a
more Catholic-friendly environment. Or it would not succeed and lead to a
climate that was even harder to the Catholics. Well, we know what happened.
He had no success. He made it worse. But there's no way he could have known
that. There was a chance of success and no promising alternative.

Resistance groups are always a direct consequence of a bigger power
exploiting their preeminence without providing any chance for a non-violent
change. If there's no chance to overcome the oppressors in a "fair" fight
(may this fight be armed or unarmed) and if there's few hope that the
oppressor will vanish, then your only chance is to take "unfair" measures.

There would have been no Gunpowder Plot if there would have been equality of
religion in England in 1605. There would be no Al Quaeda if the Western
countries wouldn't economically exploit the Arabic world, if the Nakba
hadn't happened etc. There would be no ETA if the Spanish hadn't tried to
turn the Basque into Spaniards. There would be no militant PKK if the
Turkish wouldn't try to turn the Kurds into Turks. There would be no IRA if
the English hadn't treated the Irish so bad.

It's takes much harassment until the harassed person resorts to "terror".
Cause that step means commiting your life to a cause and you cannot undo
that step. Once you have made that step there are only two possible paths:
succeeding or failing (either by dieing or by getting caught and being
imprisoned for life). Once you have harassed a group that much, that they
resort to "terror", they will stick to it and there is hardly any way to
stop them. It's a one way road. Therefore - if you want to stop "terror" -
be fair to people _before_ they start the "terror". And in this respect, I
guess, we can be very happy, that we had some change at the other side of
the Atlantic.

Marcus Buck