LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.17 (06) [EN]

Wed Nov 18 00:09:33 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 November 2009 - Volume 06

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.17 (04) [EN]

 Mensch, Marcus,

in my first posting whithin this thread I had made some thoughts to put
up any continuative comments of the same kind:

>>(But, independant from the linguistic stuff, I wonder what's the reason
that the Germanic people only mowed once? I don't >>know of any major
improvements in agriculture back then that could have improved the grass
growth that much.
>>And to come back to Jonny speaking about it as a moribund word: It's one
of the examples where not language decline is >>the cause for a word
disappearing, but where the word just became unfit to represent reality
anymore. There's no use for >>a word meaning "second and last time of
mowing" if agriculture has improved thus far that modern farmers can mow
five >>times a year.)

But I had been too lazy and feared to disturb people, because LS "Etgrao" in
its original sense is independent from the number of cuts/mowings - it's
just the "re-growing"; it hasn't to be mown but the cattle can eat it by
their own mouthes.

Today it's called the "1st., 2nd. 3d. ... cut".

Landmenschen unter sich, wat?

Thanks anyway!

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm