LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.11.21 (02) [EN]

Sat Nov 21 18:43:54 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 November 2009 - Volume 02

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.11.16 (02) [EN]

> From: DAVID COWLEY <DavidCowley at anglesey.gov.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2009.11.14 (03) [EN]

> SANDY - You said I think that you want to get more discussions going.
> So what about Scots?: Do you think it will ever be a main written
> language of Scotland for Education, Admin and daily use, or always a
> somewhat looked-down upon 'dialect' of English, as it slowly (and
> sadly)
> dies out? Or should it ever be, and if so why/ why not? Might Gaelic
> have a safer future than Scots, even though it must have less speakers
> (but in reality more respect as a 'real' language in many folks'
> eyes)?

Hi, David!

I can't write a whole book every time someone brings these questions up
on the List  :)

See my existing article in the Scottish Parliament's report:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/committees/historic/education/reports-03/edr03-02-vol02-02.htm

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/