LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.26 (02) [EN]

Thu Nov 26 22:44:30 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 26 November 2009 - Volume 02

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.24 (01) [EN]

> From: jmtait <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
 > Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.23 (04) [EN]
>
> > Sandy wrote:
> >
> > From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
 > > Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.23 (02) [EN]
> >
> > > From: clarkedavid8 at aol.com
> > > Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2009.11.23 (01) [EN
> > >
> > "Ah cann' ga' roo'"?
> >
> > But what does this mean?
>
> Unless this is a rhetorical question, Sandy (?) it's 'I canna get
> oot.' As we know, all Scots overseas Parliamo Glesca!

Oh I see, I'm supposed to insert my own glottal stop on the end  :)

I can't say I'm a fan of Stanley Baxter at all, although I did meet him
on a plane once!

Surely it would be a "kangaroot" if that story were true? I think we
also have to assume that after journeying half way round the world the
supply of hearing aid batteries was running low. It's a whole new driver
for phonetic shift!

Recently I've been thinking about the origins of mathematical terms, in
particular why "pi" is chosen as the letter designating the constant
that can be approximated by 3.14.

I think if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it up to a
mirror, you'll see exactly why this letter was chosen to represent the
constant!

Does anybody know of any similar derivations for well-known terms?  :)

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/