LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.10.03 (01) [EN]

Sat Oct 3 18:39:50 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 October 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Geoff <geoff.benoy at telenet.be>
Subject: GB031009 LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.10.02 (01) [EN]

Dear All,
If somebody was tought a so-called dead language by a native speaker such as
Mannix, and the student mastered this language as a native speaker, then we
can except this for granted. The language never died out.
If somebody starts to study and talk in Cornish, he doesn't know how it
really sounded. As an example look at the Ulster or Connaught Gaelic and the
one from Corcaig Gaeltachta; the very same written word has a complete
different prononciation: example: slaínte.
I speak Flemish and already my daughters are talking different than me.
Geoff Benoy/ Belgium

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Hi, Geoff, and welcome to our round!