LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.10.17 (01) [EN]

Sat Oct 17 15:08:36 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 October 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.10.16 (03) [EN]

Thanks Mark.  I believe you’ve helped me understand something I found
puzzling.  Namely, why did Haitian Creole seem to take the socially powerful
language as the “lexifier” and English not adopt the socially more powerful
Norman language.  Probably neither one provides a pristine example, but one
example of agglomeration and one of ablation to use your terms.

A truly fascinating subject, especially since you can add examples from
Southern Africa.

Mark Brooks