LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.10.19 (01) [EN]

Mon Oct 19 18:08:33 UTC 2009

L O W L A N D S - L - 19 October 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: Paul Tatum <ptatum at blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2009.10.18 (03) [EN]

 Hello,

 From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be

 What about Icelandic v/ Old Norse?
> Regards,
> Roger

There has been some linguistic evolution in Icelandic, mainly in the vowel
system. There have also been several syntactic changes, so I don't think
Icelandic is quite as conservative as it appears when you see a page of noun
and verb paradigms.  The main Old Norse saga literature dates to the 13th to
14th centuries, and is rather 'Middle' in date for an 'Old' language, which
makes Old Norse itself seem rather conservative with respect to Primitive
Norse.

Paul Tatum.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Furthermore, Icelandic is and was by no means isolated. It was a Danish and
Norwegian colony for centuries and had Danish imposed in formal education
(the same as on the Faeroe Islands), which probably affected the language at
least indirectly. Aside from that, there were contacts with foreign
fishermen and pirates, even pirates from North Africa.

Also, you could argue that purist language planning has been keeping
Standard Icelandic artificially conservative.

Seattle, USA