LL-L "Names" 2009.09.02 (01) [EN]

Wed Sep 2 15:02:32 UTC 2009

=========================================== L O W L A N D S - L - 02
September 2009 - Volume 01
lowlands at lowlands-l.net - http://lowlands-l.net/

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at telenet.be> Subject: LL-L "Names" 2009.09.01
(04) [EN]

Dag Heather,
 In Western Flemish 'rugge' means 'back' (of a person). Near de sea we also
use 'rik'.
'Rugge' and 'rik' can also mean a ridge in a field, (een verhoogd middendeel
van een akker).
We also use the word 'richel / richle' as ridge.

Groetjes,
 Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene

 From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: new string "placenames"
from Heather Rendall heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk Dear All
Could you please help?
My local history group has been researching a medieval estate in our
village. It began life being called The Rugge
This has come down to us variously as:-
the Ridge ( most often)
Rodge (Hill)
and Rugg's Hole / Place
I can understand how Rugge>> Ridge.
I am interested that a mere mile away the same word has become Rodge
But I cannot understand how the hard 'gg' of Rugg's Hole/Place has been
retained!
We have many different spellings for the estate between 13th and 15th
century including 'Richalhide' where the 'hide' = a new estate bought and
added to the original one. This would seem to show that c 1400 the Rugge >
Rich    and the velar had softened.
So why should we have a single instance of a hard 'gg' remaining?
Any thoughts or explanations gratefully received.
Many thanks
Heather
Worcester UK

 ----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Hi, Heather, Lowlanders!

I wonder if there are some dialectical versions of Scandinavian-derived
"rig" flying around Britain and if these are featured in the names you
mentioned. "Rick" is a variant of "rig" and can be used in the sense of
"back" and "ridge". So, Scandinavian-derived "rig" and "rick" are cognates
of English (*rugge* >) "ridge" and its various Continental cognates.

This "rick" occurs in numerous British place names.

For there to be related "Rich..." there would have to existed a variant **
ricke* which I find altogether plausible.

Seattle, USA