LL-L "Language politics" 2010.04.03 (02) [EN]

Sat Apr 3 14:56:21 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 03 April 2010 - Volume 02*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
 Subject: LL-L "Language politics"

 Beste Paul,

You wrote:

I always find the idea of banning words in a language hilarious.  What are
they going to do, invade?

If English tried the same trick, we'd need a bigger army than China's just
to watch over everything that's written.

Completely agree. In my book, banning words ranks even more ridiculous as
banning a certain type of "clothing" (not the lack thereof ;=)) or banning
"gestures". Seems that some people mistake the right of using words, for
ownership. They treat a language as if it's some sort of territory where
immigration officers should constantly keep an eye on "illegal" import.

No single person, no body of persons, not even the whole community really
owns a language in my opinion. Therefore nobody is entitled to avoid a
language from dying out or even from commiting suicide. The whole is always
more than the sum of its parts.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com