LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.04.05 (04) [EN]

Mon Apr 5 22:03:20 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 05 April 2010 - Volume 04*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>

Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.04.03 (01) [EN]

Dear John:

Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"

You write:

The version I'm familiar with goes:

Bruce: "I dout I hae killed the Comyn."
Kirkpatrick: "Ye dout? I mak siccar!"

Eina! (Ouch!)

There is an error then, as well as an omission, in my version. I can only
object I had it by word of mouth, from two of which informants were referred
to as Scots. This makes me think of a generations-long version of
postman's-knock, or what is that childrens' game where they line up & pass a
whispered message along, & see what daffery comes out at the other end?

By the way, Afrikaans uses the word 'dog' (doch, hey?) as Scots use dout,
for 'suppose'. It is a fossilisation of the past tense for 'dink' = 'think'
in AB Nederlands. The Afrikaans for 'think is 'dink': In the past tense it
is 'gedink'.

This typing is getting burdensome; I've spent the Easter-weekend with
cordial foemen demonstrating broadsword-play in full-armour with naked
steel. I got a hammered finger. I was a lucky one.

Wishing you the same Sheltie, keep in touch!

Yrs,

Mark

P.S. I dare you to try to follow Afrikaans. I believe you'll get further
with your background than many monoglots.

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com