LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.14 (01) [EN]

Wed Apr 14 18:19:36 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 14 April 2010 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Otto <otto at schienke.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.13 (01) [EN]

English = room

Hochdeutsch = zimmer

Fryske/Frisian = keamer

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Etymology

Dear Lowlanders,

Uh ... Anyone awake perchance?

I've been approached by a non-member in Michigan with a name question:

My great grandmother was from Leith, Scotland. She gave my grandmother the
middle name Keamer. According to what I read from your site, does that word
mean "room"? Would Keamer be a typical name?

Any idea anyone?

Seattle, USA

. . .   Otto [Richard O. Schienke]

         " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 01, 2010-

                  _____________________________________

                  "Satisfaction . . . lurks in the answers."

> I've been approached by a non-member in Michigan with a name question:
>
> My great grandmother was from Leith, Scotland. She gave my grandmother
> the middle name Keamer. According to what I read from your site, does
> that word mean "room"? Would Keamer be a typical name?

Not in Scotland, no. I guess this name was taken from a relative, family
acquaintance or place-name overseas.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com