LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.15 (01) [EN]

Thu Apr 15 16:27:26 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 15 April 2010 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.14 (01) [EN]

Room in English is cognate with G. *raum*, "space" and can have the same
meaning;

*Zimmer* is cog. w. E. "Timber", from OE *timbrian*, to build;

The various LG words like *keamer*, Afr. *kamer* etc. are presumably related
to French *chambre* (whence English "chamber") and relate to Latin *camera*,
a room or box.

I assume these *kamer* type words are thus later, like E. chamber, so I
wouldn't expect a similar form in "ancestral" Lowlands in Britain, like
English or Scots.  I suspect that this surname has some other meaning
therefore.

In English at least, surnames in -er are usually some sort of occupation or
action (Forder, Fisher, Walker etc.)  So Keamer suggests "one who keams".
Though what on earth the verb to "keam" might mean I have no idea!

Paul

Derby

England

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com