LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.21 (01) [EN]

Wed Apr 21 17:39:49 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 April 2010 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
 Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.04.20 (01) [EN]

Beste Reinhartd,

you wrote:

Thanks, Jonny. Lest this blossoms into an even more outrageous mutual
admiration society, let me explain that the phrase “Great minds think alike”
is often used in a facetious way, and the surest sign of that is when the
speaker includes him- or herself (which would be immodest if it were
serious). However, having said that, it applies definitely to you.

So my own vanity let me pad into any slimy trap, hm? And there *was* a
warning voice - the pudding looked  too over-egged! But if I had not
answered at all this could have been looked upon as unpolite. I probably
should take more care in future. *"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes!"*

But, anyway, I take it with good humor. To laugh at oneself is the second
best kind of laughter, I think - only schadenfreude is better ;-)....

(BTW: 'lest' and its etymological origin is an interesting word I've never
heard before!)

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

Lower Saxony, Germany