LL-L "Language politics" 2010.08.03 (05) [EN]

Tue Aug 3 21:34:07 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 03 August 2010 - Volume 05*

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>

Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2010.08.02 (05) [DE-EN]

Dear All:

Subject: LL-L Language politics

This string on Saxon & German language politics is riveting, & cuts all too
close to the soul of the Afrikaner. But I insist that any kind of compulsion
is the wrong approach to inculcating loyalty to a living language. Even
administrative maneuvers to encourage use thereof will alienate the
potential convert. I do not even need to motivate, do I? Let me add, a
village of fluent, willing speakers is more to be cherished than hundreds of
thousands who understand but don't give a damn. So auger in on the village.
What about that one in India going over to Sanskrit? Weird but wonderful.
What about the nation that went en masse over to Hebrew? Even weirder, on
thinking it over. But even in the latter case the important thing is not the
numbers. It never will be. As in so much else besides language, it is the
dedication of the few that *DO* it that matters.

I urge all dedicated Saxon-speakers to simply pass by the numbers game &
contact the fanatics like yourselves, get together, keep in contact & raise
up a language. Compile a grammer of common usage. Make it straightforward
but point it to serve particularly the fluent speaker. Compile a dictionary
of common usage, & then another on technical language, in fact dictionaries
covering every craft you can; even - particularly - the dying ones (while
you're about it what about one on driving?). When you are satisfied you are
at a standard not to provoke shame in your pretensions, translate the Bible
(that should have been done in Luther's day). Then let somebody start a
'Continental Saxon Chronicle' (it should have been started in A.D. 811).
Annnd by the way, the craftsmanly speakers, writers & poets may get on with
swopping lies, tales & songs.

All this was done in Afrikaans before it became the Language of the
'Administration'. & truth to tell, Afrikaans is surviving (I will share a
secret - it is advancing) on the foundation we built before we became the -
ahem - overlords. Practically everything to the advantage of the Taal
resting on political might has gone by the board, & only to the good. I am
not, make no mistake, an advocate of the deliberate debasement of the
language that this loss of Official Patronage has also let loose, but I
don't mind. What is good, what is worthwhile in usage will survive, *because
it will be used*.

Last of all, do not try to be all things to all men. In a spirit of amiable
partisanship, return to your home village & dialect: Advance *that* with
enthusiasm unashamed. & to tack onto the previous paragraph, the little
groups that do the best work with the most dedication & enthusiasm will
advance against the rest, & not only become great themselves, they will
strengthen the others by example & sheer infection.

One last point. If Plats was marked for extinction it has had 500 years to
do so. The fact that it has not in spite of all the forces arrayed against
it is proof enough of inherant merit. You will succeed. To borrow from the
Jews, miracles come to those who meet them halfway. In order to win at the
lottery, you must buy a ticket.

Aanhou wen!

Mark.

P.S. By the way Ron, for the English of *Randwortschatz* couldn't one say
'peripheral vocabulary'?.

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>