LL-L "Travels" 2010.08.05 (06) [EN]

Fri Aug 6 00:37:09 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 05 August 2010 - Volume 06*

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Vexillology"

Beste Leeglanders,

Wind seems to be dropping, the flag is flying at half-mast, maybe it's time
to find a motto for our lands.

Let me give you a controversial example. Two days ago, I was on my way back
from Scandinavia and the Baltics, and nearly fell off my bike, entering
Sachsen-Anhalt...from astonishment that is. At the border a big billboard
said "Wilkommen im Land der Frühaufsteher":

http://tinyurl.com/33kthyy

In short: I didn't feel too welcome ;=)
Another thing that struck me while in the North is how early one is having
dinner. After 8.30 pm, it was often no longer possible to find a restaurant
that was still willing to serve food. Absolutely not the case in Belgium
(and most other places I've been to). Maybe people want to spend more time
drinking? Or is it because they have to get up early?

Apart from that, nothing but good experiences. "Leegland" in more than one
respect, both leeg for "low" and leeg for "empty". I found the Estonian
coast particularly attractive. Seen many Estonian placenames containing the
morpheme "Vald"...< Wald (G), forest, I guess?

Folks in Baden-Württemberg probably think they're funny: "Wir können alles –
außer Hochdeutsch"

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Travels

Hi, Luc!

I’m glad you enjoyed your trip.

As for early risers, early sleepers and after-hour deadness, I wonder if
those are shades of “sober” Protestant heritage (as opposed to “papist” *
losbandigheid* and *gulzigheid* in your general neck of the woods) ... ;-)

Nice to have you back.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>