LL-L "Orthography" 2010.08.06 (02) [EN]

Fri Aug 6 17:27:51 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 06 August 2010 - Volume 02*

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2010.08.05 (01) [EN]

Strange that all the island Lowlands have lost the "k", and as far as I
know, all the mainland varieties have kept it.

It would be interesting to know when we lost it; spelling isn't much use
since we still write it today.  If I had to guess, I'd say Chaucer
pronounced it and Shakespeare didn't, but that would be complete
speculation.

Paul

Derby

England

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Orthography

Paul,

I wonder if the /k/ before /n/ got lost during Norman times, since initial
/kn/ is a non-permissible sequence in Romance languages. So it may already
have happened by Chaucer's time, at least in prestige varieties of English.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>