LL-L "Language politics" 2010.08.06 (04) [EN]

Fri Aug 6 18:33:46 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 06 August 2010 - Volume 04
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Anja Meyfarth <aurinel at spray.se>

Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2010.08.05 (04) [AF-EN]

Moin!

Ron wrote:

Growing up as part of the postwar generation in Hamburg I saw signs of
conscious, concerted efforts to discourage the use and learning of Low
Saxon.

Oh yes, the opinion was that people who spoke Low Saxon never would learn
proper High German. My mother was born 1934 in Hanover. She still says s-t
and s-p (sie s-tolpert über s-pitze S-teine) and so did my brothers when
they came into school. There both of them were told that that was NOT the
right prononciation and they were forced to say scht and schp (sie
schtolpern über schpitze Schteine). Nobody in Bavaria would have said
something like that to a bavarian child! I was once talking to a Bavarian on
the phone (I jobbed in a callcenter thoseadays) and I couldn't understand
him. I asked him politly to use a more standard version of German but he got
angry and told he was talking German. That is unimaginable in Northern
Germany.

Greetings,

Anja

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com