LL-L "Language politics" 2010.08.06 (07) [EN]

Fri Aug 6 21:17:41 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 06 August 2010 - Volume 07
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Mark Dreyer" <mrdreyer at lantic.net>

Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2010.08.05 (03) [EN]

Dear David

Subject: LL-L "Language Politics"

& thanks for your comments.

Firstly let me apologise as a South African to a denizen of Anglesey for
presuming to offer sage input on the Lesson of Welsh ( I have just this
moment stopped to look at your E-Mail address). You have the rights of it as
concerns any Administration's background support to the 'Official Language'.
On the other hand, have you considered the alternative course of an official
language enjoying the same kind of support, aggressively pursued, &
seemingly in vain? I refer to the example of the Republic of Eire. I am on
firmer ground here, for my blood-connection to the Irish (my paternal
grandmother - many Afrikaners have that). Nearer home, just such aggressive
support of English as the Official Language, for Namibia, is a flop.

To be fair, I prefer to distinguish between a State communicating in a given
language (& refusing to communicate in others - as it seems to me the French
do), & one pushing a given Tongue with mother-tongue education,
adult education programs, translation facilities & everything that goes with
it. 'Preferring to distinguish' doesn't mean I can offer a solution on that
theme, hey! Leave that to the serious boffins.

I'll respond privately on the Afrikaans.

Yrs,

Mark

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>