LL-L "Evolution" 2010.08.16 (02) [EN]

Mon Aug 16 22:33:23 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 16 August 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Evolution" 2010.08.16 (01) [EN]

> From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
>
> Subject: LL-L "Evolution" 2010.08.15 (09) [EN]

> I was struck when the Fox P2 gene was discovered and its importance
> and relevance to language described, by the fact that the original use
> of the gene had been the fine movement control of the fingers; it then
> also developed / adapted to control the fine movements of muscles
> round the mouth, let alone the sequencing of words within a language.

> What struck me was the possible connnection between the sequencing of
> using tools for which fine finger control would be required and the
> development of language into sequential thought. Animals have
> communication and some are even considered to have the ability to
> re-sequence common sounds to vary effect or meaning but they do it
> within a very limited range of fixed sounds.

Something completely different strikes me: the development of fine
finger control could be to make signs used for communication more
sophisticated, and since sign languages use a fair bit of lip-patterning
and facial expression to support the manual signs, the use of sign
language might be a factor in fine control spreading to the mouth and
other parts of the face.

> The other 'point in time' that has fascinated ever since I read
> Golding's "The Inheritors" is when did humans start looking beyond
> reality to an invisible dimension. When did abstract thought begin?
> Why did the family and friends of a neanderthal boy in Turkey line
> his  grave with blue flowers? How long had they been thinking or
> believing in something beyond the merely practical?

As soon as metaphor arose, I should imagine! And that pretty much comes
along with language.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/