LL-L "Etymology" 2010.08.25 (01) [EN]

Wed Aug 25 16:51:32 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 25 August 2010 - Volume 01
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jonny Meibohm <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.08.23 (05) [EN]

Beste Heiko,

Du schreyvst:

So my guess is that soenlick just parallels "enichzins" => "in one
mind". So they went there to get rid of all "Roman stuff", but not
with anger but with care and diligence, totally in peace. And being
protestant myself I think I can understand that somehow, that you want
to "clean" the church of all the "Roman stuff" when reformation
comes...

I guess you're quite right here. In Middle Low German we often find phrases
like "... unde maken ene gude sone", meaning 'to make peace', 'to
conciliate', German: 'sich versöhnen'.

Allerbest

Jonny Meibohm

Lower Saxony, Germany