LL-L "Language survival" 2010.12.16 (02) [EN]

Thu Dec 16 17:07:00 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 December 2010 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Language survival" 2010.12.15 (03) [EN-NDS]

That is quite appealing, at least onthe face of it.  Presumably this would
go for all languages, not just Afrikaans.

I could then have some fun trying to follow the other language, to see how
much I could understand.

A couple of possible problems with that:

1)   Twice as much paper for printed versions (nearly 3 times as much for
some languages).  I know a lot of journals are on line these days, but
people still print the papers out and there are still many hardcopy
publications.

2)   What to do about the technical terms? Do you create new words in the
other language, or just come up with versions of the "English" words that
fit the pronounciation of the language? (I use the quote marks, because most
of these words are about as English as Archimedes).

3)  Who's going to peer-review the non-English version, to make sure both
actually say the same thing? A professional translator might not grasp the
subject enough to realise there were contradicitions, so then you need
another peer-reviewer who is fluent in the language in question.  (Possibly
a problem if the original writer happens to be the only Apache-speaking
hydrogeologist in the world).

Given deadlines and workloads these days, I rather suspect people just won't
bother.

Paul

Derby

England