LL-L "Technica" 2010.02.07 (05) [EN]

Sun Feb 7 22:07:21 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 February 2010 - Volume 05

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Technica"

Beste Ron,

On 07/02/10, at 19:59, you wrote:

> Luc *et al.*,
>
> I sent out the three previously sent issues this morning in the previously
> described switch and paste methods, but all of them arrived in my mailbox
> requiring manual Unicode encoding switches.
>
> So this test is really inconclusive, and there must be another reason for
> the inconsistency.

You're right.

Until the real reason is found (differing opinions on what level of
html-complexity is allowed between Apple and the rest of the world?), I have
decided to switch back to plain-text format. This enables me to read the
messages of the last few days fairly well. Much better anyway, than weeks
and months ago. One drawback is that sometimes quoting gets lost...those
messages remain hard to read...alas.

That's why I also advocate Joachim's suggestion.

Under Apple, one can do this manually (message by message...plus, the
changes don't "stick"). Depending on how much html-mail you're getting it's
worth to consider switching to plain text by default...this can be achieved
if you type:

defaults write com.apple.mail PreferPlainText -bool TRUE

in the terminal.

If you then get html-mail, you can still view it in Rich Text format,
hitting Alt-Command-]

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium