LL-L "Grammar" 2010.02.21 (01) [EN]

Sun Feb 21 17:56:51 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 21 February 2010 - Volume 01

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar"

Lowlanders,

While switching through TV stations recently I came across an
interesting programme about thatching. It followed some trainee
thatchers as they tried to learn to thatch a roof.

I didn't see enough of the programme to pick up what part of England it
was, and I'm relying entirely on the closed captions for the language,
but the subtitler consistently recorded at least one speaker's use of
the word "inches" as "inchs".

I find this awkward, though not impossible, to pronounce. Is this an
actual usage in some English dialects, and if so, which? Are other
plurals or genitives pronounced similarly?

It could be a subtitling error, but it wasn't live captioning and
errors, especially basic ones like this, are rare in premeditated
captions.

(On the other hand, errors in live subtitles are rife. My recent
favourite is Natalie Portman being described as "Fatty Portman" on the
news :)

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/