LL-L "Phonology" 2010.02.26 (01) [EN]

Fri Feb 26 16:20:54 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 26 February 2010 - Volume 01
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Hondshoven <rhondshoven at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2010.02.23 (03) [EN]

In connection with the pronunciation of the Maria, I would like to add that
in rural areas the the a in the 1st syllable is a muffled sound. In towns,
however, Tienen and Diest, the a is a clear sound. One might wonder why the
stress would be on the last syllable in Getelands and Tienen. In my opinion
this is to be explained by the proximity of French. The closer you get to
the linguistic border the stronger the influence of French, both in
vocabulary (as shown by the great number of borrowed words) and to a certain
extent in accentuation. Nevertheless, there is a tendency to shift the word
accent in a limited number of words, in a kind of Germanic reflex, to the
1st syllable, most notably in cacao, depot,  predikant (=meikever),
tabak, pronounced
/toebak/, paletot. The word café can be stressed in two ways: stress on 1st
syll. (the beverage) or 2nd syll. (pub).

Roger Hondshoven
Diest (East-Brabant) Belgium

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com