LL-L "Language promotion" 2010.01.07 (04) [EN]

Thu Jan 7 22:04:44 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 January 2010 - Volume 04

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language promotion" 2010.01.03 (02) [EN]

Hello Ron,

your detailed and interesting explanation still has a mark in my email
inbox, but I didn't have the time to answer appropriately. It is very
plausible that the uncompromising Welsh spirit results from their having
been a country and people in their own right, even somewhat isolated. As to
northern Germany, you are right that today people put more stress on
"Germany" than on "northern". Even I don't feel like a separatist or
anything like it. Separatism in Germany, if at all, is mostly attributed to
Bavarians :-) But I don't feel being ethnically different from them or, say,
the people on the upper Rhine. In former times there were all these tribes,
but where would we come...?

Moreover, today nobody is so very much isolated. Life mixes people up much
more, forcing them to follow work and move, resulting in intermarriage and
all sorts of fraternisation, even with Bavarians. Any ethnic difference
_inside_ Germany has long faded into local colour. It would be hopeless to
base a cultural issue -- such as the preservation of a language -- on this
ground. In fact, reading your post I found myself musing over the "feeling
of ethnical difference" and whether I ever felt it. I have travelled very
little, but the world mixes in our cities. Knowing so many people so
different and at the same time so much alike and so much like me and
watching our cultures mix makes me lose the sense of difference. Maybe I see
it all too much on a personal level, and maybe I am confusing nation,
culture and ethnicity. But I feel the overlap of cultures is growing, which
for the cultures may be not so good, while on a personal level it is just
fine.

Now, how can we preserve a language and culture under such circumstances?
Neither going separatist nor melting up in globalized indifference? It must
be a narrow path, and time is working against us. It cannot be on an
ethnical basis, everybody must be free to join or adopt a culture -- or
parts of it. Something new will necessarily result. And a culture must be
attractive to survive. Welsh seems to be attractive. What can Low German do?
I would love to know.

Hartlich

Marlou