LL-L "Language promotion" 2010.01.08 (03) [EN]

Fri Jan 8 20:12:43 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 08 January 2010 - Volume 03

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language promotion

Thank you very much for your interesting comments today, David and Marcus.
Here are just a couple of comments of mine in return.

Marcus:

The most recent developments in Catalonia are quite stunning, at least to
me. On 13 September 2009 the municipality Arenys de Munt held an inofficial
local referendum in which the voters were asked: "Do you agree on Catalonia
becoming an independent, democratic and social State of law, integrated in
the European Union?"

It resulted in 96.2% voting Yes, only 2.3% voting No, with a participation
rate of 41%. After this many more municipalities held inofficial
referendums. So far 168 municipalities have done so. There was not a single
one where less than 80% voted Yes. The outcome so far is 94.89% Yes and
3.21% No. Other municipalities will vote in two more rounds in February and
April.

Of course the participation rate is rather low with 27.41% (the vote is
totally unofficial) and the voting areas so far are mostly rural (e.g.
Barcelona has not yet agreed to hold a vote). But it's still quite
impressive: almost 95% support for full independance!

Far be it from me to rain on this parade, but ... I have read these reports
and I must say that the percentages seem suspect to me. For one thing, large
numbers of residents in these areas are from other parts of Spain or have
roots there, and among these must be a good percentage that does not use and
care about Catalan and/or endorse Catalonian independence. (Note
differentiation between “Catalan” and “Catalonian”, the latter referring to
the region with its ethnically diverse population.) After all, throughout
the eastern area you get by with Castilian, although not knowing Catalan
probably keeps you out of certain social circles. 95% voting for full
independence? Hmm ... I don’t know about that. I expect that Barcelona with
have very different results.

Marcus about Low Saxon orthography:

This problem can only be overcome when more people learn to read or write
Low Saxon (by media exposition or in school) and people start to realize
that the (Dutch or German) set of phonetic mapping rules they learned in
school is not the only possible set of phonetic mapping rules.

Amen and halleluiah, brother!

And Marcus wrote:

The Low Saxon house was another example of an ethnic element that clearly
suggests that the North formed an ethnic unit. The southern border of the
distribution area of the traditional Low Saxon house exactly coincides with
the language border. Of course traditional house types have absolutely no
meaning for today's life, but they still show, that there was some kind of
ethnic border that certain "memes" (to use a very generic term) were unable
to cross.

For the benefit of others: Marcus is talking about a type of half-timbered
farmhouse (German *(nieder)sächsisches (Fach-)Hallenhaus > niederdeutsches
(Fach-)Hallenhaus*, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_German_house) that is
specific to the old Saxon-speaking region. It used to house humans and
animals under one large (originally thatched) roof. I read somewhere in an
old report (and I wish I remembered which) that at the western end of its
geographic distribution, occurrence of this architectural style peters out
around the old overlap of the Low-Frankish- and Low-Saxon-speaking regions
in what are now the Netherlands. Going eastward, it used to be the standard
well into Mecklenburg, but it can be found in Pomerania as well. In the
north, its boundary is the Eider River, the old Saxon-Jutish borderline. In
the south, distribution ends in Northern Hesse. By and large all this
coincides with the old Saxon-speaking area. Peripheral sparseness assumedly
coincides with colonial overlaps with Dutch (Low Frankish), German (Central
Frankish) and Slavic cultures and languages. The only iffy area is a
southeastern sliver from southeastern Lower Saxony via Berlin to Eastern
Pomerania. My assumption is that in terms of rural population those areas
retained a good deal of Slavic (i.e. Pomeranian and Sorbian) cultural
dominance, a large percentage of the population having been Slavs that
adopted the Saxon language while retaining much of Slavic culture.

You might argue that all this is academic, is merely historical background.
However, catching sight of these buildings (many of which survive) signals
“homeland” to many North Germans. (I feel this whenever I travel back into
Northern Germany.) It is perhaps just another piece of the fading picture.

If some sort of dedicated medium for Low Saxon did come about, the tricky
part would be to appeal to “Northern Pride” (Hey! How about that as a title?
But don’t translate it, since *stolt* > *stout* tends to mean ‘audacious’,
‘naughty’ or ‘intrepid’ in the far west.) without falling into the old rut
of *Heimattümelei*, the old
down-home-on-the-farm-back-when-things-where-still-right tradition to which
Low Saxon has pretty much been relegated by publishers and media directors
catering only to “codgers.” Such a medium would have to cater to a spectrum
of tastes and requirements and would have to be a broadening catalyst by
pushing the envelop outward and forward, thus “recruiting” the next
generation while also accommodating people with more traditional tastes.

Seattle, USA

P.S.: That’s a really nice overview you posted (below), Marcus!