LL-L "History" 2010.01.08 (05) [EN-NL]

Sat Jan 9 06:37:40 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 08 January 2010 - Volume 05

From: Marcus Buck <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2010.01.08 (04) [EN-NL]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com <mailto:sassisch at yahoo.com>>

> Under "Language promotion," Marcus and I wrote about the distribution of
> the "Saxon farmhouse" more or less coinciding with the spread of the Low
> Saxon language.
>
> Apparently, there is no general agreement on this topic. In the
> Dutch-speaking world this has been dismissed as literally a coincident, as
> in the Dutch Wikipedia:
>
> De benaming Saksische boerderij werd gegeven omdat men een verband
> veronderstelde tussen de volksstam der Saksen en de ontwikkeling van het
> boerderijtype. Onderzoek toonde echter aan dat dit niet klopt en dat er
> tussen de ontwikkeling van de boerderij (in de late middeleeuwen en
> vroeg-moderne tijd) en het bestaan van de Saksen (in de vroege middeleeuwen
> en eerder) vele honderden jaren verschil zaten. Ook de ontwikkeling van de
> Frankische boerderij werd op een dergelijke manier niet beïnvloed door de
> volksstam der Franken. Het idee dat dat wel zo was, komt voort uit het
> volstrekt toevallige feit dat de verspreiding van beide boerderijtypen
> gedeeltelijk overeenkomt met de vroeg-middeleeuwse verspreiding van beide
> bevolkingsgroepen. De benamingen Saksische boerderij en Frankische boerderij
> zijn dus feitelijk onjuist.

I don't know the precursors of the Saxon house or the Frankish house. I
cannot tell whether they were the same or whether they already were
different. But even if the Saxon house is young that doesn't mean it cannot
be a Saxon house. The map (see below) clearly shows that the Frisians have a
different type of house. When the Saxon house is young then why did the
spreading of the house stop? Obviously there was an ethnical border between
the Frisians and Saxons that stopped it. The spreading stopped at the former
Saxon-Frankish border too. So there must have been an ethnical border too.
Why else would it stop at that line? The Dutch Wikipedia (and the German
too) is just wrong when it says there were no Saxons any more in the time
the Saxon house developed. Even 1585 Johan van Sesen called his book "Ein
sehr nütte Künstryke und och wolgegründede Arithmetica, edder Rekenskunst,
uth warem grunde op den Linien und Cifern, Thom drüdden male mit mehr
Regulen und schönen Fragen getzyret und gebetert, dergliken vormals in
Sassesche Sprake nicht gesehen". They were no indepanfant nation anymore but
they still knew they were Saxons and they still saw a difference to the
southerners.

<
http://www.kirchner-raddestorf.de/heimat/regional/ndswohn-Dateien/image001.jpg

Marcus Buck