LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.14 (04) [EN]

Wed Jul 14 23:11:00 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 14 July 2010 - Volume 04*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.14 (02) [EN]

Dear Marlou,

you've sent us the link of the flag of Trappenkamp.

My comment: marvellous!

Keep cool ;-); kind greetings!

Jonny Meibohm

Lower Saxony, Germany

----------

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>

> From: Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.13 (03) [EN]
>
> On 13 Jul 2010, at 23:02, Lowlands-L List wrote:
>
> > Another good example of simplicity and effectiveness is the
> Edinburgh flag, which is just the Scottish flag (the Saltire) with the
> colours
> > reversed: nice and unpretentious.
>
> So "Argent a horse forcene gules" may have merit?

With such a simple derivation I suppose it can be no better than the
original  :)

----------

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.13 (03) [EN]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Vexillology
>
> But even flags that violate “my rule” can be charming if they are
> entertaining enough. Take the flag of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania
> and notice the character on the left. It cracks me up pretty much
> every time I see it: http://tinyurl.com/2v33axh

Not to mention Foghorn Leghorn on the right!

> Another funny one, of the Isle of Man: http://tinyurl.com/34suvyy

It just shows you what goes to making a thing funny or not: I'm so used
to seeing this symbol on Yale locks and other places that it doesn't
strike me as the least bit strange.

> Topped only by that of Sicily: http://tinyurl.com/35kdrff
> (whatever is going on there ...)

It does make me try to remember what the three-legged thing was all
about, if it stretches from Sicily to Man. I used to know this, looks
like I'll have to look it up again!

> And even more bizarre from the Benin Empire: http://tinyurl.com/lx78rw
> (Ain't this a lovely symbol?)

It may give the neighbours the wrong impression, though!

> So flags can be entertaining, can’t they?

Yes, that's four out of tens of thousands, so let's say 0.001%
entertaining  :)

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com