LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.18 (02) [EN]

Sun Jul 18 17:45:53 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 18 July 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Andy Eagle <andy at scots-online.org>

Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.17 (01) [EN]

Paul wrote:

Symbols don't have to be heraldic to be striking, and flags don't have to be

restricted to stripes. The very impressive flags of Canada and Japan are two
very good examples. I'm no big fan of the European Union, but I think it's a
great flag - though as more members join it's in danger of ending up looking
like a dodgy wizard's cloak in a school play.

The blue of the European Union flag represents the west, the number of stars
represents completeness while their position in a circle represents unity.
The stars are not added to as new members join as they are intended to
represent all the peoples of Europe, even those outside the EU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Europe

Andy

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>