LL-L "Sports" 2010.07.19 (02) [EN]

Mon Jul 19 18:38:51 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 19 July 2010 - Volume 02*

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: LL-L "Sports" 2010.07.18 (03) [EN]

From: R. F. Hahn
<sassisch at yahoo.com<http://uk.mc264.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=sassisch@yahoo.com>

Subject: Sports

Paul, you wrote:

As long as the games include that pole-vaulty thing that the Frisians do.

Indeed. Of course this Frisian-based *firljeppen* would be a requirement and
a great opportunity for thoroughly humiliating the Highlanders, especially
the Alpine ones with their mandatory *lederhosen* and the Scottish ones with
their mandatory kilts (and we all know that they *never* wear anything
underneath). Hilarity will abound, and the Lowlands will be triumphant.

They might try and counter this by mandating Celtic Football, but I’m sure
there are enough Lowlands Scots that can help us out there, while I’m sure
the Highies won’t be adapt in Frisian handball (*keatsen*, Dutch *kaatsen*,
similar to *jeu de pelote* in Belgium).

And there is Frisian-based *klootschieten* ~ *klootscheten* a.k.a. *boosseln
*, which is popular in the Northeastern Netherlands and Northwestern
Germany. It requires flat terrain on which balls are “shot” over long
distances. Since we have the terrain, we have a definite leg up. Much would
depend on with whom the Irish will side, since they have a similar sport:
road bowling (*ból an bhóthair*). (I have a feeling they'd side with the
Catholic-dominated Highies and stay away from the Scots and English,
though.)

Seattle, USA

Then there's the worlds fastest non-motorised sports, sand-yachting and
ice-yachting (if you don't count sky-diving and extreme downhill skiing I
suppose).  Both are North Sea coast specialities, though the ice version
might get increasingly hard to do in future.

Reckon the Uppies might have the edge in the 300m abseil.

Paul

Derby

England

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com