LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.26 (06) [EN]

Mon Jul 26 23:45:28 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 26 July 2010 - Volume 05
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>

Subject: LL-L "Vexillology" 2010.07.26 (02) [EN]

Hello,

the idea of a standard Lowlands flag to which every "tribe", every community
etc. might add their special symbol seems a very good thought to me. Hanne
Hinz seemed to have had this idea as well, she told me so in private. It
didn't occur to me, but I find it charming. This would give at once the
identity aspect and the variety aspect ("a parade", as someone here called
it).

Let us assume that Ron's fine design
http://www.lowlands-l.net/treasures/ll-flag01.jpg would be the "matrix", and
every Lowlands community *that wants *could add its symbol (a horse, a
sea-horse, a Nato star...) into the large blue zone -- would this be good?
Those who want to simply say "I'm Lowlander" take the simple version of the
flag, those who want to add their special identity add their symbol.

I can imagine a symbol might seem a little lost up there, but if people want
it so badly...? For me personally, this flag would be complete without a
symbol, it could be spoilt by it. But if we chose a design that is "made
for" an added symbol, it could be spoilt by the omission of one. Are there
any such "combination flags" abroad? Any experiences with it?

Hartlich!

Marlou

I had “submitted” this Lowlands flag design:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/treasures/ll-flag01.jpg

To go with Sandy, some of you “got it,” others apparently did not.

In the meantime I have experimented with additional symbols (as did Sandy),
including the Sami-type circle Uwe pointed out (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_flag). However, I find that all of these
additions put the flag design over the top ("gild the lily," so to speak
...).

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>