LL-L "Language proficiency" 2010.06.25 (02) [AF-EN]

Fri Jun 25 23:01:56 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 25 June 2010 - Volume 02
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>

Subject: LL-L "Language proficiency" 2010.06.25 (01) [AF-EN]

Re: funny language switching stories

I still work for the Texas Workforce Commission, but I used to work in the
unemployment claims call center. I handled calls in both English and
Spanish. Some days I would have as many Spanish calls as English. On one day
I began a call in English, and had to put the person on hold to check on
something. When I returned to the call, I began speaking Spanish – until the
man on the line said, “English, I don’t speak Spanish.” So, I apologized and
switched back to English.

I learned both languages in my childhood, but I didn’t begin learning
Spanish until I was about 10 or 11 years old. I began learning English in
the cradle, if not earlier J

Mark Brooks