LL-L "Etymology" 2010.06.26 (02) [EN]

Sat Jun 26 21:03:28 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 26 June 2010 - Volume 01
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at gmail.com>

Subject: Sailors' language

Hello,

After a (very long) absence from this list, I came across something today
that I would like to put to the list. I'm busy transferring all my CDs to my
PC, and had to look up something related to the album "Reise, Reise", by the
German band Rammstein. It was said that "Reise, Reise" is an old German (as
in language) sailors' term, meaning "arise, arise". I was thinking however
that it may have come from Low German/Saxon, not High German, because the
language of sailors was Low German/Saxon for a long time. Any ideas?

cheers,
Henry Pijffer

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>