LL-L "Language proficiency" 2010.06.27 (06) [EN]

Sun Jun 27 23:00:52 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 27 June 2010 - Volume 05
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: "Elsie Zinsser" <ezinsser at mweb.co.za>

Subject: LL-L "Language proficiency" 2010.06.26 (02) [EN]

Hi everyone,

Vlad, a few short tales on the subject:

-In 1997, on a flight from Amsterdam back to SA, I sat next to two men whose
German discussions I followed quietly all the way.

At some stage, I needed to leave my window seat to go to the bathroom and
spoke to them in German but the one said to the other (in the same
language), ‘She thinks we’re speaking German...” I am still flabbergasted
and can only guess they were speaking Low Saxon/Plaut.

-One of my sister’s daughters is in Rhode Island. She was recently surprised
that her four-year old grandson spoke fluent American with his daddy and
fluent Afrikaans with my niece, and on the same topic. He only started
speaking fluently a year or so ago and interestingly knows that he could
converse in Afrikaans with his mommy, ouma and oupa on the phone, and his
aunt in San Diego.

-My friend over the road has a three-year old granddaughter who knows
exactly that her daddy and his extended family speak Afrikaans and her mommy
and her extended family speak Sotho.

Cheerio,

Elsie Zinsser