LL-L "Resources" 2010.06.28 (02) [EN]

Mon Jun 28 23:58:13 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 28 June 2010 - Volume 01*

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2010.06.28 (01) [EN]

> From: From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Resources
>
> Hi, Ben!
>
> As far as I remember, we discussed the issue. Maybe you didn't read
> the thread because I didn't use your proposed topic "twitter".
>
> I said that I didn’t understand the benefits of Twitter, certainly not
> in this case. Sandy did some research and explained tagging. I said
> I’d give it a try with my own account first. So far I really don’t see
> any real benefit, just a bunch of small bits flying around all over
> the place, most of which is of no relevance or importance to me.

Well, I thought hashtags would be good for organising and
cross-fertilization.

As I said originally, all we need is a #Lowlands_L hashtag and it's
possible for us to carry on a conversation that non-members can see, so
that not only would it give a continuous stream of information and
references to the "best of" the archives and the website, but people not
aware of the list and searching for hashtags that we also use, like
#scots, #language and so on would become aware of us.

This scheme was looking good for a week and then a snag became apparent:
although Twitter stores everything, only the tweets for the past week
are actually indexed. This is explained as being because the tweets are
coming in too fast for Twitter to index, but to put it another way, it's
a major bug in Twitter and as far as I'm concerned it's pointless to
bother with Twitter until they fix it. I've tried the alternative ways
of getting at tweets such as Google Livesearch, but Google doesn't
recognise "#" as part of a word so as far as I can see, that's also
useless
I look forward to it getting fixed, but right now it's like a book with
all the pages stuck together.

I must say, though, that there's something to be said for very short
messages. I found myself actually paying attention to Ron's Low Saxon
because on the List the languages I don't know are usually a bit
overwhelming in length. I also wasn't shy of putting up haiku in Scots
and adding the #Lowlands_L tag so that other Lowlanders would see it,
which I couldn't imagine myself doing on the List.

So it's all a great shame but might be sorted out one day.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>