LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.08 (04) [EN]

Mon Mar 8 17:41:26 UTC 2010

Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.03.08 (02) [EN]

 Jonny wrote:
yesterday evening Piet Bult told about a word perhaps fitting into the
special women's day of today ;-).

He used the word 'broedlachte' for 'wedding', spoken in Twente and
Achterhoek. We're wondering if this word is from Low Saxon origin and what
etymological background it might have.

RE:
'broed' I guess stands for [bru:t] (or [brut]) at least in Dutch spelling,
being the same as Standard Dutch 'bruid' meaning 'bride', occuring in all
Germanic languages I think.
'lachte' should rather be 'lochte' I would say, but anyway through -ft- >
-cht- as in German Luft, Dutch lucht, German stiften, Dutch stichten it
derrives from 'lofte'/(lafte?) a derrivative from the verb 'lopen' to run/to
walk.
The compound of 'bride' + 'lopen' occurs also in many Germanic languages,
Standard Dutch 'bruiloft' having lost the -d- of 'bruid' but lacking the
change -ft- > -cht-. Norwegian 'bryllaup'; Danish 'bryllup'; Swedish
'bröllop' altho the Scandinavian ones might be loaned from a Low German
dialect, but in that case very early as Old Norse already has brúðhlaup,
bruðlaup, brullaup.
Cheers!
Diederik

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Lowlanders,

Old Saxon has *brūdhlôht *for 'wedding'. So I assume that some Low Saxon
dialects of the Eastern Netherlands have preserved it.

Old English: *brýdhlop*, *brýdþoft*
Old German: *brūtlouft*

Seattle, USA
listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com