LL-L "Grammar" 2010.03.17 (04) [EN]

Wed Mar 17 17:24:41 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 17 March 2010 - Volume 04*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2010.03.17 (03) [EN]

Paul Anisman wrote: “so that an utterance such as  "there's three books on
the table" has become extremely widespread across all socioeconomic groups,
while "there's books on the table" remains a more stigmatized form.”

Perhaps I can speak only for myself, but I don’t find any of Ron’s examples
to sound “wrong” even the ones with the asterisks. In fact, they seem
completely interchangeable to me regardless of contraction or an adjective
of quantity. I have lived all but 2 of my 59 years in Texas. My parents grew
up in Tennessee, so we speak a Southern US dialect.
Mark Brooks