LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.03.21 (01) [EN]

Sun Mar 21 16:52:41 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 21 March 2010 - Volume 01*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.03.20 (03) [AF]

Actually, this is the first post on the "Shetland Question" I've read all
the way through! Your opening comment probably goaded me into it!

To be fair, I don't ignore messages in Afrikaans (next to English they are
the ones I can read most easily, even more than German). I just can't write
it quickly or well enough to respond properly.

Your history of the struggles of Afrikaans, and how it both compares with
and differs from that of minority dialects and languages was very
interesting.

One point I will make (again!) is that when speakers of other languages
compare their condition with that of English, they seem to assume that this
global status is automatically a Good Thing. I disagree; Danes have Danish,
Afrikaners have Afrikaans, even Germans have German, in a way that the
English no longer have English, and never will again.

Paul

Derby

England