LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.03.23 (03) [EN]

Wed Mar 24 01:46:08 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 23 March 2010 - Volume 03*
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2010.03.22 (01) [EN]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Language varieties

> At the same time, I can certainly see how after a while one would get
> tired of this sort of thing.

Yes, indeed, and I think at that point a lot may depend on personality.

Much of what John Magnus is describing is, in general terms of how
nonsensical (and worse) people can be about things is quite familiar to
me from the various factions of the Scots language movement, and then
again, probably in even more varied forms, in the issues that surround
deafness, deaf culture and sign languages.

Personally I don't tend to suffer fools gladly, but on the other hand
I'm not really up for kicking against the pricks.

I think things would be a lot better if people were able to "know
themselves" and recognise their niche and make the most of it. But in
practice many people are determined to take the political approach,
which will ultimately lead to lies, backstabbing, greed, hubris,
pigheadedness, threats, tantrums and other things that I'm far too busy
too get involved in.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com