LL-L "Resources" 2010.05.16 (01) [EN-NDS]

Sun May 16 18:55:36 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 May 2010 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Uwe Tychsen <tychsen at t-online.de>

Subject: LL-L "Language politicis" 2010.05.15 (01) [DE]

Daar mutt man jo maal taun besten gäwen, wat uns Ministerpresident in
Sleswich-Holsteen seggt:
http://www.schleswig-holstein.de/Portal/DE/Service/Video/Willkommen__Plattdeutsch.html

Ik grüss all
ut Niestadt
Uwe Tychsen

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Language politics

Dank di, Uwe.

Folks, the link Uwe provides above leads you to the official site of the
German state ("land") of Schleswig-Holstein, specifically to a page on which
Peter Harry Carstensen, the state's prime minister, makes a welcoming speech
in Low Saxon ("Low German"). You can read the text underneath the video
window. Nice touch!

Actually, I think this is one of the better German state sites: informative,
yet friendly and inviting, showing off one of the state‘s most impressive
assets: its multiethnic and multilingual population.

Language choices of the site:
German (http://www.schleswig-holstein.de/)
English (http://tinyurl.com/356pur8) [with speech video]
Danish (http://tinyurl.com/2vjk78h)
French (http://tinyurl.com/3yumtpq)
Spanish (http://tinyurl.com/2v2ewcb)

It would be nice to add at least Dutch, if not also West Frisian (Frysk).
There are longstanding connections between the state and the Netherlands,
and West Frisians are interested in the state‘s North Frisians. Besides,
driving from the Netherlands to Schleswig-Holstein is no big deal.

There are videos of young people reading an introduction to the state in the
following languages:

Danish: http://tinyurl.com/2bwtlw9
Romany: http://tinyurl.com/24yhyey
North Frisian: http://tinyurl.com/2be3kpt
Low Saxon: http://tinyurl.com/2cccqlj

The videos are accompanied by text versions (except Romany, although it *can
* be and *is* written) followed by German translations.

In my opinion, the site‘s shortcomings include difficult navigation,
unnecessarily long URLs, and inconspicuous language version links. Also, the
server was down for a few moments each time I connected to the site on
several days - not a good thing for an official site like that.

Overall, however, it‘s a site worth checking out.

Seattle, USA

P.S.: I am blind-copying the Schleswig-Holstein administration on this.

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com