LL-L "Orthography" 2010.11.04 (04) [EN]

Fri Nov 5 03:09:58 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 04 November 2010 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Tomás Ó Cárthaigh <tomasocarthaigh at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Resources"

While posting in online forums for the poetry that I write, one noticiable
feature for which Ive often been lambasted is the poor quality of my
spelling, which is more due to poor ability to type correct than to spell
when writing, and a complete and criminal abhorrance of wasting time editing
my typed work before clicking the irredimable SUBMIT button!

The reason for posting this waffle is that I looked up the spelling issue,
when it was standardised etc., and found what we take for granted today as
standard spelling is less than 200 years old in its modern form.

http://stbride.org/friends/conference/temporarytype/sixnewletters

The above is a great article that goes through some of the efforts that have
been made at reform of the language, which in time may change in the coming
decades and / or centuries.

What take do the learned lowlanders have on this?

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

*"a person with a good book is never alone... a writer until they've written
one is never at peace"** *

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>