LL-L "Orthography" 2010.11.05 (03) [EN]

Fri Nov 5 13:19:22 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 November 2010 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: William Paterson <wm.paterson at ymail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography"

Pat wrote:

I've read that the British value vocabulary, pronunciation (Received
Standard), and something else, whereas Americans value spelling and grammar
(it seems to me the Americans had a third item as well). Can anyone
elaborate on this, confirm or deny it, based either on scholarship or
personal experience?

      As an American from the Philadelphia area, it seems to me that
Americans do value spelling, though it also seems many of us aren't very
good at it, and we are very tolerant of "creative" spellings in marketing.

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>