LL-L "Orthography" 2010.11.06 (04) [EN]

Sun Nov 7 03:21:05 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 06 November 2010 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject:  LL-L "Orthography"

Beste Jacqueline,

You wrote:

Dear Paul, Luc, Theo and others interested in the orthographic vagaries of
the English Language,

 I offer you a poem by my Landsman G. Nolst Trenité.

http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~hill/papers/conc/thechaos.htm<http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/%7Ehill/papers/conc/thechaos.htm>

He was professor of English at one of the Dutch universities.

In order not to appear one-sided I will also add the URL of a similar poem
lambasting Dutch spelling.

http://taal.web-log.nl/taaladviesdienst/2010/11/taalrijm-charivarius.html

Read both poems from A to Z with a big smile on my face. Trenité had a sharp
eye, he was able to view not only English but especially his own native
language in a charming, innocent and funny way. I felt therefore somewhat
surprised (and saddened) to find out the guy was chiefly seen as a charlatan
by fellow Neerlandists.

A light-hearted approach was apparently not favored back then...too bad.

Kind greetings, Halle, Belgium

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>