LL-L "Etymology" 2010.11.16 (01) [DE-EN-NDS]

Tue Nov 16 21:25:29 UTC 2010

L O W L A N D S - L - 16 November 2010 - Volume 03
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.11.15 (03) [EN]

Dear Heather:

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Re: 'Colwedereshull'

Pardon, I never paid attention to where precisely you are located in your
'Sceptered Eden'. & what was the local economic activity of that time?

Remember, a wether is a castrated ram, 'wedher' in AS English. The word is
still used. Now hillsides don't usually allow for tillage, but often provide
good pasture. For the rest I would go with your interpretation. I have read
the name 'Wetherhills' in just such a context in some bucolic novel long
ago, but I don't know if the name was real or a literary fiction. Ron, isn't
there a cognate in German, 'widaer'?

Yrs,

Mark

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Etymology

Mark,

Old English *weþer* > *wether*
Old Saxon *wethar*
Old Frisian ?
Old Low Frankish *wither*
Old German *widar* > *Widder*
Old Norse *veðr*
Gothic *wiþrus*

Seattle, USA

 ----------

From: M.-L. Lessing <marless at gmx.de>

Dear Heather, if I was asked to make a spontaneous folk etymology of
"Colwedereshull" I would say: Cold Weather Hill. -- Is it a windy or shady
site? "Weder" is Plattdüütsch for weather, you know. If we take it for
Platt, "col" is not "hill", but "koold" = cold.

Does it make any sense?

Hartlich

Marlou / Hamburg

----------

From: Hannelore Hinz  <HanneHinz at t-online.de>

Leiw' LL-L-Frünn',

ok bi uns kann man *Weddern *finn'. (Boizenburg/Elbe, Dömitz, Wittenberge)
un annerswo. Man snackt ok von *Oewer-, Vör-, Wedderflaut.* Mnd. *vlôt *f*.*

*Wedderflaut, -flot *f. Rückflut: 'an weghen unde an steghen, an *
watereresvlůd * unde an  weddervlůd, an vischerye' (1364) UB.
Mecklenburgisches Urkundenbuch 9, 595.

*Vörflaut*, - o - f. Vorflut: 'ad emendandum eius profluxum, quod vulgo
vorvlot dicitur' (1330) UB. 4, 164; 'vort umme de wisch bet an de vorvlůt up
Bolekower velt' (1345).

Lit.: Wossidlo/Teuchert

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorfluter

Best Gräuten.

Hanne

----------

From: "Stellingwerfs Eigen" <info at stellingwerfs-eigen.nl>

 Dear Heather,

Col/Kol het veul meugelikheden:
- kool (groente)
- heuvel (kleine terp)
- arm (zeearm, zijrivier)
- glooiing
- vlecke (dorp, gehucht)
- gevechtskleed (maliënkolder)
- tovenaar (toverkol)

Wederus het ok veul meugelikheden:
- werter (van, herkomst)
- wetering (sloot, afwatering)
- weer (het weer aangaande)
- weer (nog een keer)
- weder (welke van twee)

Hill = heuvel

My choiche: a hill near a col.
Colwerdershill: heuvel aan/bij een zeearm/zijrivier, of: dorp aan/bij een
zeearm/zijrivier

Mit een vrundelike groet uut Stellingwarf,
Piet Bult

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>