LL-L "Etymology" 2010.10.16 (01) [EN-NL]

Sat Oct 16 14:34:48 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 16 October 2010 - Volume 01
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>

Subject: LL-L "Names" 2010.10.15 (03) [EN-NDS]

From: "Stellingwerfs Eigen" <info at stellingwerfs-eigen.nl>

Subject: LL-L: Etymologie 'Surnames'

For any Lowlander who's interested in Dutch surnames...

There is a hole bunch of Pultrums in our area. You may find an topological
overview from surnames in a large databank of the Meertens Instituut at

http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/nfb/detail_naam.php?gba_naam=Pultrum&nfd_naam=Pultrum&info=aantal%20en%20verspreiding&operator=eq&taal<http://www.meertens.knaw.nl/nfb/detail_naam.php?gba_naam=Pultrum&nfd_naam=Pultrum&info=aantal+en+verspreiding&operator=eq&taal>
=

Mit een vrundelike groet uut Stellingwarf,

Piet Bult

Indeed, this would have been my "go to" source as well. Also note that in
the etymology section they call it a name based on a "toponiem", so it
indeed is unrelated to our other word "pultrum", it seems. "Pulterum" seems
to be its older form.

Regards,

Henno

----------

From: Hellinckx Luc <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Piet,

Je schreef:

> Henry schreef:
>
> > By ons in Rysen (Rijssen) is daet 'nen achternaam.
>
> Klopt. D'r is - wel appat trouwens - een hiele streek, zo van onder Zwolle
tot et noorden van de Fryske Wâlden (de Westereen) waor 'n heil bult
'Pultrum' as surname hebben. Alliend in mien tillefoonboek al zoe'n tachtig
(80) stoks...

In 2007 in totaal zo'n 329, volgens http://tinyurl.com/2urtamh

Wel valt op dat in het Noorden de distributie zich niet verder uitstrekt
richting Duitsland. http://www.verwandt.de/karten/absolut/pultrum.html geeft
ook geen enkele treffer voor Duitsland.

Hier in België zeggen we "pupiter", etymologie van "pultrum":
http://tinyurl.com/35jfwcj

Vriendelijke groeten,

Luc Hellinckx, Halle, Belgium

----------

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at gmail.com>

Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2010.10.15 (02) [EN-NDS]

Ron skreev:

> Is it possible that pultrum as a word for “pulpit” (derived from Latin
> pulpitarium), began as a “sort of joke” or as a misunderstanding
> (interference) because of the frequent occurrence of the
(Frisian-derived?)
> surname Pultrum in parts of the far-western reaches of the
> Low-Saxon-speaking area?

It may very well be Frisian-derived. Even though my area is not really
close to Frisia, we had a share of Frisian "immigrants". There's a
town nearby called Vriezenveen. It came into existence because the
local lord invited Frisians to colonise the wetlands in the area. The
Saxon dialect there has a Frisian substrate. For example, they call it
"Vjenne", whereas we say "Venne".

good gaon,
Henry

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Etymology

There are numerous place names ending with *-um* along the Netherlands’
coast, several also on Germany’s North Sea coast. Possibly naively, I
associate them with Frisian.

Does this “suffix” have the same etymology? What is it?

Please bear in mind that the Frisian-speaking area used to be much, much
larger than it is now, that many Hollandish and Saxon dialects have Frisian
substrata.

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>