LL-L "Language politics" 2010.09.14 (04) [EN]

Tue Sep 14 20:49:55 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 14 September 2010 - Volume 04
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>

Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2010.09.14 (02) [EN]

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2010.09.13 (02) [EN-NL]

Also interesting....except I don't know what (or where?) "de Grondwet"
actually is!

What the USA would call the constitution (I believe the UK does not have
one...).

Literally "ground-law", so "most basic law", in a way. Probably a loan
translation of Grundgesetz, I suppose?

I was also surprised to find (if I've understood correctly) that there are
semi-officially English-speaking places - Sint Eustatius and Saba; are they
in the Caribbean?

They are, yes. The other half of St. Maarten (a.k.a. Saint-Martin) is a
French "self-governed colony" (collectivité d'outre mer), so I supposed
knowledge of French would be widespread, but according to the Wikipedia
page, most people speak English there as well (being descendents of English
slaves).

Henno

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=118916521473498<http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#%21/group.php?gid=118916521473498>