LL-L "Language learning" 2010.09.15 (05) [EN]

Wed Sep 15 21:53:20 UTC 2010

*L O W L A N D S - L - 15 September 2010 - Volume 05
*lowlands.list at gmail.com - http://lowlands-l.net/
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>

Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2010.09.15 (04) [EN]

> From: Mike Morgan <mwmbombay at gmail.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Language learning" 2010.09.15 (01) [EN]
>
> In "response" to Paul's suggestion of Dutch and James' counter
> (wist/hful) suggestion of Esperanto as "foot-in-the-door ((feet-in the
> door??) languages", it all depends which door you are trying to get
> your feet into.

Interesting post, language-wise, comparing Esperanto, Papiamentu &c as
"foot in the door" languages in response to others' suggestions.

The whole idea of a "foot in the door" language seems rather "dead in
the water" to me, however. I think for success in a language you need
interest, motivation, and best of all, if possible, necessity.

If you try to learn a language as an easy stepping-stone to the world of
language-learning, you're choosing your language because it's relatively
easy. But barring special talent, no language is all that easy (at the
very least it takes commitment and consumes much time) and it'll be a
lot easier to learn a language if your motivation is that you _want_ to
or _need_ to, rather than to have an easy life in learning a language
you're not that bothered about really.

"So why are you learning Dutch?"
"Because I want to learn German."

It's nonsense!