LL-L "Delectables" 2011.04.02 (02) [EN]

Sat Apr 2 23:46:20 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 April 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2011.03.21 (01) [EN]

*> From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>**
> Subject: LL-L "Delectabels"*

*> ....I asked for help on this list for finding a recipee for "onion
bricks"*

*I didn't find it anymore in Evanston:**
**Thanks very much* for all replies in the list to my message about 2 weeks
ago:

*> ... .Sunday morning I toke the light rail to Evanston .... I had a
"Southern Sampler" for lunch, a variety of tasty stews and red beans over a
layer of rice, for 10.95 (+ drink, taxes and tip).*

I found that menu of that restaurant ("Dixie Kitchen") back on the web;

*Southern Sampler* $10.95: Gumbo, Jambalaya, and Red Beans & Rice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumbo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambalaya

*>  ... googled a bit. I found:
**http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackney's*<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackney%27s>
* "The Onion Brick**
> This evening I went to their restaurant at the corner of Polk Street and
Dearborn street in Printer Row, just South of the Loop. The window at Polk
street is nailed with a wooden sheet cover. The front at Dearborn street
urgently needs an upgrade.*

Here it is: http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/chic/rest.jpg

*> Inside the waiter confirmed the "French Fried Onions" are standing for a
"onion brick". So I ondered a full one.*

Here is how their brick looks like:
http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/chic/brick.jpg
*> It was less black caramelized than the one of 1982 ...The whole block
could easily been broken into pieces, while the other one of 1982 needed to
be hammered;**
*I presume the other one in Evanston

was more pressed in the form: it really had flat faced

was made with sweeter onions or with sugar added, which eventually explains
it being darker caramelized and the sugar giving it flat hard faces. It was
a real "brick" as one uses in construcion.

*> Anyhow it was delicious.**
*Regards,

Roger

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com