LL-L "Language use" 2011.04.02 (04) [EN]

Sun Apr 3 00:21:25 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 02 April 2011 - Volume 04
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Language use

English (and Spanish) are the languages most used and known in the US I
guess. For international events a multilingual façade is created though. As
e.g. 2 weeks ago at the ProMat event in Chicago in the Southern block of the
Convention center.

The entrance as seen from my hotel room:

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/chic/cc.jpg

The panel right at the main gate:

http://www.euro-support.be/tmp/chic/panel.jpg

I can't identify all of the languages:

Welcome!! English

Bienvenue French

Welkom Dutch

?? Arabic?

?? Chinese?

Välkomna Swedish

?? Korean?

Bemvindos Portuguese

Willkommen German

Bienvenidos Spanish

The directory had some pages in a variety of languages:

p 14-15 General Information - English

16-17 Informations générales - French

18-19 Allgemeine Informationen - German

20-21 Información general - Spanish

22-23 Chinese characters mixed wit kana like symbols - Japanese?

24-25 Pure Chinese characters - Chinese?

26-27 Informazioni generali - Italian

28-29 Allmän Information - Swedish

This choice of languages is a bit different from what one finds at the
entrance gate.

The US Commercial department had a separated area for assisting foreign
visitors. I knew the system from 2 years ago and I used it every day again
for a free breakfast (large buns of heavy tight bread with a slight cinnamon
taste and covered with some white molten sugar, (they call this "Danish"
!!), with a cup of coffee.).

I don't know for what languages they had interpreters, most language
servicing clearly was for visitors with an Asiatic look.

Regards,

Roger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Subject: Language use

Hi, Roger!

You’re pretty close identifying the languages on the panel. Here’s my two
pennies’ worth:

?? Korean?

It’s Japanese in all kana: ようこそ (yokosō)

As far as I can know, Swedish *välkomna* is the infinitive form; “Welcome!”
should be *Välkommen!*

The Arabic phrase appears to be reversed. It ought to be أهلاً و سهلاً (Ahlan
wa sahlan).

The food you describe sounds like what we call “cinnamon role.” A “Danish
(pastry)” is what in Northern German is called *Kopenhagener, *in Austrian
German *Golatschen*, in Danish and Norwegian *wienerbrød*, in Swedish *
wienerbröd*, and in Finnish *viineri*. Thus it’s “Copenhagen pastry,”
“Danish pastry” or “Viennese bread,” depending on whom you ask. American
“Danish” in this sense can be pluralized to “Danishes” (“danish” –
“danishes”).

Seattle, USA

listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com