LL-L "Delectables" 2011.04.03 (02) [EN-NDS]

Sun Apr 3 22:58:15 UTC 2011

L O W L A N D S - L - 03 April 2011 - Volume 02
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L Delectables Re: LL-L "Language use" 2011.04.02 (04) [EN]

*> From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>**
> Subject: LL-L Language use*

*> The US Commercial department had a separated area for assisting foreign
visitors. I knew the system from 2 years ago and I used it every day again
for a free breakfast (large buns of heavy tight bread with a slight cinnamon
taste and covered with some white molten sugar, (they call this "Danish"
!!), with a cup of coffee.).*

*> From: R. F. Hahn <**sassisch at yahoo.com* <sassisch at yahoo.com>*>*

*> Subject: Language use*

*> The food you describe sounds like what we call “cinnamon role.” A “Danish
(pastry)” is what in Northern German is called Kopenhagener, in Austrian
German Golatschen, in Danish and Norwegian wienerbrød, in Swedish
wienerbröd, and in Finnish viineri. Thus it’s “Copenhagen pastry,” “Danish
pastry” or “Viennese bread,” depending on whom you ask. American “Danish” in
this sense can be pluralized to “Danishes” (“danish” – “danishes”).*

Hi Ron,

I agree with your description, for as far as it corresponds to the pictures
at URL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_pastry

In Belgian French we call them "viennoiseries", in Belgian Dutch often
"koffiekoeken".

They generally do not contain cinnamon over here though, or very little.
They generally have a paste structure with large open cells, or sometimes
puff pastry, so they look hollow and lite, though they give a feeling of a
swollen belly through their high butter content.

Strong cinnamon taste makes us rather think on Swedish "käkor".

As for the US government "Dänish" we got offered: It were large buns of just
very tight bread (uncompressible), made with little or no yeast I guess,
size 3" high, inedible when there was not the molten sugar on top. Those
sizes makes us Europeans unconfortable since we are not trained in handling
stuff of that size. I guess one needs some training for learning to get
one's jaws sufficiently open for biting in those goodies.

But anyhow, I may not complaint for breakfasts I got for free.

And btw what does one eat for breakfast?

At the hotels one often has "the buffet", often only one formula: it is the
buffet or nothing, with basically a combination of:

- bacon, sausage + scrambled eggs + hashed potatos, or pancakes, or hot rice
cookies

- cereals, or Kellogg sugared stuff + milk + extra sugar

- muffins or similar (incidentally also donuts)

- bread, butter, marmelade

- fruit.

It may be expensive when one pays 15-20 USD + tip flat rate for the buffet,
when one eats just one muffin with a cup of coffee.

I hate bacon and eggs with pancakes or rice cookies.

Most hotels in the US have a little shop though, with some dry cakes, cola,
eventually also stuffed sandwiches.

However this may also be expensive. So my first act upon arrival in the
States is shopping in a Wallgreens, Happy Harry's or CVS Pharmacy. Often I
do best buys though in very small local shops.

For me the best breakfasts are served in the UK, in small hotels in the
Midlands with (my favorite):

- one or two eggs, sunshine up (not scrambled, the white a little brownied
below)

- crispy bacon

- two slices of fried onion

- two slices of fried tomato, well peppered

- some fried mushroom slices

- some slices of slightly toasted bread.

Continental breakfasts in Europe often have a choice of sliced cold meats
and thinny sliced cheeses with a variety of breads (buns and thinny sliced
bread), with butter, marmelade etc., this in small hotels with 5 to 10
guests. In lager hotels this selection is extended with things from above to
form a complete buffet eventually.

In Scandinavia clearly one has the smörgasboard, with an extended selection,
with typical for me: including fish dishes, Swedish crispy bread,
Scandinavian Ost (cheese) etc.

Regards,

Roger